Painting Bathroom Tiles
The Pros & Cons How & Why.
The Pros & Cons of Painting Bathroom Tiles.
Is It Worth Painting Bathroom Tiles?
Let's Find Out
If you are looking to refresh your bathroom, most probably, the first thing that comes to mind is to change the tiles. The reasons can be many, from needing a new look in the room to some wear and tear on the tiles.
The size of tiles and your bathroom style will also play a role, as well as your budget. Knowing the pros and cons of each method and what you get in each case is essential.
In this article, I will compare the main methods and present tips for choosing the right one for your bathroom.
The most common way of painting bathroom tiles is by using paint that is made especially for tiles by applying a special primer and then applying the chosen tile paint on top.
There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these methods, so let's get started.
Painting bathroom tiles using specially made paints for tiles. This is by far the most common way of painting bathroom tiles since it is easy, and you can get good results with little effort. There is also a wide variety of colours.
Pros and Cons of Painting Bathroom Tiles
- No need to buy new tiles.
- Easy to apply.
- Wide range of colours.
- Good result with little effort.
- You can paint your bathroom tiles with minimal effort to create an updated look. You can also change the colour of the tiles in your bathroom with this method.
- You can paint a large area in one session. A small paint roller is easier to use than a paintbrush. It is easy to cover the grout lines since you can paint right over them. Removing the paint with a specialised paint remover is easy if you don't like the results.
- The paints for tiles are relatively easy to apply, especially if you use a roller. This is great if you are a beginner and are trying your hand at painting the bathroom tiles. The paint dries pretty quickly, so you can start working on other things while the Primer or the tile's colour paint is drying.
- Paints for tiles come in just about every colour you can imagine. Most paint stores will have a wide range of colours in stock, so you shouldn't have problems finding one that perfectly fits the bathroom tiles.
- You need to buy specially made paints.
- Not all tiles can be painted with this method.
- It is hard to get a metallic finish.
- The paint is thick and more difficult to apply than regular house paint.
- It takes longer to dry than ordinary house paint.
- It isn't easy to get an even colour over the whole wall, especially if you use a roller. A brush can be used to smooth out the roller marks.
- If you are not careful when painting, you will end up with streaks and runs.
- The paint may last longer on porous tiles than it would on unglazed ceramic tiles.
- You may get a few drips or spots of paint when you are painting, but they can be removed easily with a paint remover.
- The paint can peel off if you aren't careful when cleaning or if you use harsh detergents (for example, the grout lines may lift if used too often).
- You must ensure that you don't leave any roller streaks or missed areas. It is hard to get a perfectly smooth finish on glossy paint.
- Using the sponge method may have a patchy finish because the paint doesn't always dry evenly in the sponge. If you try to paint the grout lines on tiles with a sponge, the paint will run down into the pores of the tile, and you won't be able to get it out.
- Using a primer on glossy tiles is especially important to help the paint stick to them. If you don't, then the paint will just peel off.
Tips for Using Tile Paint
- Best finish with two to three coats of paint.
- The first coat should be applied when the tiles are dry.
- The second coat should be applied three to four hours after the first coat.
- The third coat should be applied a proximity four hours after the second coat. (This depends on the type of paint purchased).
- Ensure the paint is completely dry and cured before using the bathroom or shower.
- Always apply a primer first before applying the tile paint. This will give an even finish and will prevent the paint from chipping off in the future. Apply one coat of Primer and ensure it is completely dry before applying your top coats of paint.
- Paint a small area first and leave it to dry before deciding whether you like the result. This way you can see if it is too glossy and whether you want the colour.
- The results are not going to be perfect. Even after priming, there will always be some visible difference between the new paint and the old tile.
- When painting bathroom tiles, starting from the top of the wall and working your way down is best. This will stop you from getting paint on your hands whenever you need to lean over to paint. It is also a good idea to wear gloves as this will help protect your hands and stop you from leaving fingerprints on the tiles.
- Make sure that you use a de-glosser before painting your tiles. This will remove any wax or other sealants from the surface of your tiles. You can buy de-glossers in most hardware shops. You should also ensure that you wipe away any dust or dirt from the tiles before you start painting.
- Make sure you follow the instructions on your paint can and give the paint enough time to dry. This is usually between 8 to 24 hours. Your paint instructions should tell you how long to leave it before you can walk on it.
- The last step is to seal your tiles. This will help to protect them and keep them looking good for longer. To do this, you can use a good tile sealer.
- Before you seal your tiles, you should make sure that they are completely dry. If you don't wait until they are dry, then the sealer won't work correctly. You should also follow the instructions on the sealant that you buy and give it time to dry.
- Once you have finished painting the tiles and they are 100% dry, you can start putting your fittings back.
Why should you Paint Bathroom Tiles?
Painting bathroom tiles is a good idea if you don't like the colour of your tiles or if they look old or dirty. It can also be a good idea to paint bathroom tiles if you want to make the bathroom look more prominent or if you're going to change the style or theme of the bathroom without having to replace any of the tiles.
Painting tiles can be a good idea because it is cheaper to paint the bathroom than to replace them. It is also a good idea to paint the tiles because it is easy and doesn't take long. If you want to create patterns in your tiles, painting is one of the best ways to do this. You don't have to spend much money on unique tile designs. You can also paint your tiles to match your own style or to fit in with your décor.
How to Paint Bathroom Tiles
It is a good idea to paint your bathroom tiles if your bathroom is looking dated or if it has become very dirty with stain marks which cant be removed. You should also consider painting your bathroom tiles to change your bathroom design without the high cost of renovating.
Here below are some steps to help you achieve your new bathroom look.
What you will need:
- Paint rollers
- Paint tray
- Paint trays or buckets
- Painters masking tape and paper
- Primer and sealer (if needed)
- Drop cloths
- Painters tape and paper
- Trowel (optional)
Firstly, ensure you have read all the instructions on the paint label or from the manufacturer's website.
When ready to start, you must wear all PPE ( Personal Protective Equipment ), including glasses, gloves, protective clothing and a mask. And always be sure that the work area is well ventilated with fresh air.
Before you start to paint your bathroom tiles, you need to make sure that they are thoroughly cleaned. Remove all dirt, marks and grime with a cleaning product. You can then wipe the tiles down with a damp cloth to ensure they are completely dry.
You will also need to remove any fixtures or fittings that you don't want to get paint on. Cover the floor with newspaper or plastic sheeting, and protect your work surface with newspaper or cardboard.
When ready to start painting, use a roller or paintbrush. The roller method is a much faster option, but it may be much more tricky to get an even finish. Painting bathroom tiles with a roller may also cause the paint to run, which can look untidy.
When you have finished painting your bathroom tiles, you must leave them to dry completely. You can then finish off by cleaning up any paint drips or spills. You can also seal the tiles to protect them and make them easier to clean in the future.
1 - Read all manufacturer's instructions.
2 - Wear all your PPE ( Personal Protective Equipment ).
3 - Remove any fixtures and fittings that you don't want to get paint on. Lay down newspaper or plastic sheeting, and protect your work surface with newspaper or cardboard.
2 - Before you start to paint the tiles, clean them thoroughly with a cleaning product.
3 - Use a paintbrush or roller when you are painting bathroom tiles.
4 - Paint the tiles with a brush. If using two colours, start with the lighter colour first.
5 - Use the same colours to paint the grout between the tiles.
6 - Use a roller to paint the tiles in one quick step. This will give you an even finish, but it is harder to get even paint coverage.
7 - When you have finished painting your bathroom tiles, leave them to dry completely.
8 - If you like, you can seal the tiles to protect them and make them easier to clean in the future.
What Type of Tile Paint Should I Use?
What kind of paint do you use on bathroom tiles?
There are many different types of paint that you can use to paint your tiles. There are water-based paints and oil-based paints that you can use. Most people tend to go with water-based paints as they are much easier to work with, but both paints have their advantages and disadvantages.
Before you start painting, make sure you know what the paint will look like when it is dry. You may find that you need to apply two or three coats before you get the right colour, so be prepared for this.
The best thing to do is to have a test area first. This will help you to see what effect you get when you put the paint on your tiles. You can then go from there and apply the paint to the tiles.
Best Tips for Painting Floor Tiles
Can Bathroom Floor Tiles be Painted?
When painting your tile floors, there are several things that you should know before you get started. You must follow these tips and instructions to help you get the best results possible.
Using a Roller
It would help if you used a roller to apply the paint when painting your floor. You will find that a roller is much easier and quicker to use than a paintbrush.
Using a Roller Cover
When painting your floor, you should also use a roller cover. These covers will help to keep the roller clean and ensure that you use less paint. The covers are also relatively cheap.
Checking the Weather
You should always check the weather before you paint your floors. It's also important to check the temperature and humidity levels. If it is too warm or humid, you will not get a good finish on your floor and will have to wait until it is less hot or humid.
Using a Primer
It would be best if you always used a primer when painting a floor. You must use a primer to ensure that your floor stays in good condition for longer. The Primer will also help stop any cracking and peeling on your floor.
Filling in the Cracks or Chips
It would be best to always fill in the cracks and chips before painting your floor. This will ensure that your floor stays in good condition for a long time and stops any cracking or peeling.
Painting the Edges First
You should always try to paint the edges of your floor first. This is going to make the floor look neater and will also stop any of the splattering from happening. You should be careful when painting around the edges as you don't want paint on the walls.
Using an Extension Pole
To paint your floor correctly, you should use an extension pole. An extension pole will help you glide the paint on the floor easier.
Painting bathroom tiles is much cheaper than retiling.
It is a good idea to paint your bathroom tile if it has been damaged by water or has become very dirty. You should think about painting your bathroom tile if you want to change your bathroom design without spending much money.
If you're still thinking about whether to paint tile or retile, you may want to consider the cost. Painting bathroom tile is much cheaper than retiling because it involves no major construction projects or professional contractors. You can also do it yourself. You can use a roller, brush or paint sprayer to get the job done in a short amount of time.
Painting bathroom tiles is also a lot faster than retiling. This means you'll be able to get your bathroom back to normal in a shorter time.
If you decide to paint your tile, you may want to consider using latex Paint instead of oil-based paint. This is because latex paints are easier to clean up and don't leave any messes behind.
If you decide to paint your tiles, you should also make sure you choose the right colour. It may be tempting to simply choose a bright colour in order to add some colour to your bathroom, but you should make sure that you're choosing a colour that will go well with the rest of your bathroom.
If you want to choose a colour that will add some pop to your bathroom, you may want to consider using colour with some shades of blue. This is because blue is the perfect colour and can help give your bathroom a more relaxing atmosphere.
Painting your Bathroom tiles tend to be much cheaper than retiling, but if you have the funds, you may want to consider retiling. This is because retiling your tiles can be more appealing and last longer than painted tiles.
If you want to retile your bathroom, you should make sure that you're hiring a professional to do it. This is because retiling can be tricky to do, and it can also be costly if you make mistakes.
You may also consider using tile art to spruce up your bathroom. Tile art can add a bit of extra colour to your bathroom, and it can also help to make your bathroom look more attractive.
Need Help With Your Next Bathroom Tiling Project In Perth?
Do you need help with your next tiling project, if so just give your local tilers - Tiler Tiling Perth a message or call and we can provide you with a free no-obligation quote.
GET YOUR FREE QUOTE!
You might also like
TILER TILING PERTH BLOG NAVIGATION
Would You Like Your Free Tiling Quote?
Please Fill Out The Form Below